Your Optometrist will recommend one or more of the following treatments for you to use at home to help with your eyelid condition:
Use either Johnson & Johnson unscented Baby Wash, Cetaphil facial cleanser or pre-packaged lid wash cloths
- With clean hands, mix the cleanser with warm water to make "suds" on fingertips
- With your eyes closed, gently massage eyelids and the base of the eyelashes for 15-20 seconds
- Wash closely along both the upper and lower eyelids and lashes
- Rinse well with warm water when done
Once or twice per day
Use a good lubricating tear 1 to 4 times per day.
Gel drops should be used WITHOUT contacts.
Advanced or oil versions of tears should be used WITHOUT contacts.
NON preserved are always a good choice.
To administer eye drop:
- Pull down on lower lid, creating a pocket
- Place the drop in this pocket. Do not touch the tip of the bottle to your eye
- Hold eyes closed for 10 seconds after drop is instilled
Use either a bean/rice heating bag.
- Heat in microwave until warm, but not hot, anywhere from 15-45 seconds
- Place over eyes for 10 minutes straight. It is better if you have removed your makeup and/or washed your eyelids
- A washcloth with warm water does not work-it does not stay hot long enough
- You may do one eye at a time while watching TV if you do not want to do right before bedtime. Reheat in between eyes
Ten minutes once or twice a day